Castella Cake 原味鸡蛋糕
I really enjoy castella cake. It is very popular in Singapore now. There is usually a queue at any bakeries selling it. I like this cake because there is no cream of tartar or baking powder added to it and the texture is also moist and fluffy.
1. 6 egg yolks
2. 75 g oil
3. 60 g milk
4. 90 g cake flour
1. 6 egg white
2. 1g salt (that is approximately slightly less than 1/4 tsp)
3. 80 g sugar
1. Heat oil in a microwave for 2 mins
|Mix flour with oil|
3. Add egg yolks and milk and mix well, then set aside.
|Add egg yolks and milk|
1. Add salt to egg white and beat until foamy.
2. Add sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak.
Part A + Part B
1. Mix 1/3 of part B (Egg white) into Part A and mix well
Mix 1/3 egg white to batter
|Mix the rest of Part B to Part A|
4. Preheat oven 150 degree Celsius. Bake for on the lowest shelf using waterbath method for 60 mins or when a toothpick is insert into the center of the cake and it comes out clean with nothing sticking, the cake is done. (my oven seems to be very hot, so I turn my temp down to 130 degree Celsius)
If the top of the cake is slightly brown, cover it with a piece of baking paper to prevent it from getting burnt.
|Add cheddar cheese for extra flavor|