Chocolate Castella Cake 古早巧克力鸡蛋糕


Castella cake is very popular currently.  There is always a long queue in the first ever Taiwanese Castella Cake Bakery at Tampines.  I was also introduced to a Japanese bakery, Oiishi Pan, at Toa Payoh.  When I went to get the cake at 11 am last week, the employee said that the cake will only be ready after 1 pm and suggested I placed an order as the cakes were usually sold out very fast.  I placed an order and did not regret as the cake melted in my mouth.

I did not want to queue for  another castella cake and decided to bake one myself.  After searching for the recipe, I was surprise  that the ingredients were all nature and wholesome.  In addition, sugar level is low.

I have tried the original favour and now I am sharing the chocolate flavor.  The cake texture was light and moist and it had became my family new favourite cake.



Ingredients (adapted from Steph's World)
8 inch square baking tin

Part A

1.  50g vegetable oil
2.  65g cake flour
3.  25 g cocoa powder
4.  90 g  milk
5.  5 egg yolks

Part B

1.  5 egg whites
2.  70g sugar

Part C
1.  Some chocolate chips

Method
Part A
1.  Heat vegetable oil
2.  Sift cake flour and cocoa powder.  Pour vegetable oil and mix well until no crumb.
3.  Pour milk into batter first, then add egg yolks and mix well.
Pour in milk
Add egg yolks

Part B
1.  Beat egg whites and gradually add sugar
2.  Beat until stiff peak
3.  Fold in 1/3 of Part B to Part A.

Fold 1/3 Part B to Part A
4.  Fold in the rest of Part B to Part A.
5.  Pour 1/2 of the batter into baking tin.  Sprinkle some chocolate chips.
6.  Pour the rest of the batter. Lightly coat some chocolate chips with flour and sprinkle them onto the batter.
7.  Bake in a water bath for about 40 mins (this is based on my oven.  The original recipe suggested 60 mins).  I prefer to place my baking tin on the lower shelf so that the top will not burn.


Sprinkle chocolate chips onto of batter







Soft and moist cake






Popular Posts