Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken 咸酥鸡
Who don't like popcorn chicken, especially Taiwanese popcorn chicken. I always wonder why popcorn chicken sold are always crispy. After doing some research, I found out the secret lies in the type of flour. In order for the chicken pieces to be crispy, it is a must to use a combination of rice flour and sweet potato flour. Another secret is to double-fried the chicken.
1) 400g chicken thigh
2) 1 tsp minced garlic (minced)
3) 1 tsp minced ginger (minced)
4) 1 tsp dark soya sauce
5) 5 tbsp rice flour
6) 5 tbsp sweet potato flour
7) 2 tsp five spice powder
8) 1/2 tsp salt
9) 3 to 4 tbsp water
9) 1 tsp rice wine (optional)
1. Cut chicken thigh into bite-size.
2. Add garlic, ginger and dark soya sauce Mix well and marinate for about 10 mins.
4. Scoop about 2 tbsp of flour mixture in a small bowl. Add about 3 to 4 tbsp of water. Stir well.
6. Coat each piece of chicken with the rest the flour. Deep fried it.
8. Toss chicken pieces into the mixture of five spice powder and salt
9. Serve hot
|Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken|