酸辣湯 Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and sour soup is my number one favourite soup. It is sourish yet spicy taste which I like. Some places do have good hot and sour soup but some are just too diluted. Many ingredients are used but it is not difficult to make. The only time consuming part is to cut all the ingredient into thin strips. Although it is time consuming, I am always happy to see my family enjoy the soup.
1) 1 box tofu
2) 1/2 carrot
3) about 80 g meat (more if you like)
4) 2 eggs
5) 2 wood fungus (if it is the dried type, soak it in water to rehydrate it)
6) 3 dried mushrooms
7) 20g bamboo shoots
8) 1 litre chicken stock
9) 20 ml rice vinegar / apple cider (more if you like to sour)
10) 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
11) 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
12) 2 tbsp. hot bean paste
13) 1 tsp salt
14) some pepper
15) some sesame oil
16) 3 tbsp. cornstarch dissolve in 50 ml water
1. Soak dried mushrooms in water to rehydrate them.
2. Cut wood fungus, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu and meat into thin strips.
3. Marinate meat with about a tablespoon of egg and 1/2 tsp soy sauce.
4. Heat pan with some oil. Stir fry carrot for a few minutes to release beta-carotene. Add wood fungus, mushroom and bamboo shoots and continue to cook.
5. Add chicken stock and water. Bring it to a boil.
6. Add meat and let it simmer.
7. Once meat is cooked, add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, hot bean paste, salt, pepper and vinegar. (You might want to taste the soup to check if there is a need to add vinegar)
8. Finally, add tofu into the soup.
9. Pour in the cornstarch and give it a gentle stir to thicken the soup.
10. When the soup returns to a boil, slowly pour in the beaten eggs. Do not stir the soup at this moment. Let the egg set before stirring.
11. Before serving, drizzle some sesame oil and garnish with some chopped spring onions.