Porridge is always great when one does not have much appetite. I prefer the Cantonese style porridge which is smooth and gooey.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1) 1 cup of rice
2) 1.5 litre of water (add more if needed)
3) 1 thumb size ginger (slice)
4) 1/3 tsp salt
5) 4 dried scallops
1) 250g minced meat
2) 1 tbsp oyster sauce
3) 1 tbsp light soy sauce
4) 1 tbsp cooking wine
5) 1/2 tsp minced ginger
6) 1/2 tsp sugar
7) 1/2 tsp cornstarch
8) some sesame oil and pepper
1) Wash 1 cup of rice. Add rice, water, scallops and ginger in a large pot.
2) Bring to a boil for 5 minutes then lower the heat and let it simmer. Stir the porridge to prevent the rice from sticking at the base of the pot.
3) Turn off the heat when grains have "flowered". Remove sliced ginger before blending with a blender until it becomes gooey. Add water if necessary. Simmer it with low heat.
|Blend with a blender|
1) Marinate minced meat with all the ingredients and set aside.
2) Form minced meat into balls and cook them in the gooey porridge.
|Marinade meat with ginger, cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce, etc|
|Cook meatballs in porridge|